turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA Contribution Doesn't Appear to be Fully Deductible in Premier 2023 Software

I am trying to understand why the deduction for my '23 IRA Contribution of $7500 seems low.  It doesn't appear that the '23 Premier version is giving me credit for the full amount of the deduction, which I believed would reduce my taxes dollar-for dollar.  I am married, filing jointly.  I have entered that I am not covered by a retirement plan at work, but that my wife is covered by one at hers.  We are under the $218,000 AGI threshold.  The full $7500 contribution appears to only reduce my tax bill by $1769, which seems low.  Is this correct, or is there possibly a bug in the software?  Thank you for any help you can offer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The $7,500 contribution does not reduce your tax dollar for dollar.  It is a tax deduction, not a tax credit.

The result on your tax return sounds correct.  It seems that without the $7500 deduction about $5950 of your taxable income falls in the 24% tax bracket.  With the deduction is seems that your taxable income is reduced to about $189,200.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

When you file as a couple, and your spouse is covered by a retirement plan at work and you aren't, with a MAGI of less than $218,000, you are allowed a full deduction of your IRA contribution (up to $7,500 if you are 50 or over).

See this IRS document

But the IRA deduction is a tax deduction, it reduces your taxable income, but doesn't reduce your tax liability dollar for dollar.  

Looks like your marginal rate of taxation is 24%, and the $7,500 deduction reduces your taxes by $7,500 x 24%  = $1,800.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies