Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA Annuity Roth Conversion

I converted my IRA annuity (3 year contract for interest guarantee was up for renewal)  when renewing my 3 year guarantee contract to a Roth IRA Annuity.  I did not a receive a 1099R and was told by the company issuing the annuity contract that I did not need one.  I think I do need one but they insisted that I didn't.  I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas or steps I should take? Is the annuity issuer correct that I don't need a 1099R or do I just file including the amount converted without a 1099R?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

If you converted the IRA annuity to Roth in 2023, the annuity provider is required to have sent you a Form 1099-R because the transaction constitutes a reportable distribution from the traditional IRA annuity.  Only if the original annuity was already a Roth IRA annuity would no reporting be required.

If the original annuity was a nonqualified annuity, it's possible that no reporting would be required if the distribution from the old annuity was less than your investment in the contract, but the deposit into a Roth IRA annuity would then be a regular Roth IRA contribution subject to regular Roth IRA contribution limits. 

Thank you for your response.  It matches what I thought but wasn't sure.  Now, I have been having trouble convincing the annuity company to send me a 1099-R.  I'm waiting for their latest response. They seem to think the move from my pretax dollar annuity with them to a Roth annuity with them does not require a 1099-R. 

dmertz
Level 15

If it was a surrender of a life insurance contract for less than the investment in the contract, no Form 1099-R is required to be provided.  However, I don't think that that exception to filing Form 1099-R applies to the surrender of an annuity contract.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies