Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

inheritance money

I had $15k that was left to me in my dads credit union money market account.  I closed that account and put that money in a individual TOD IRA.  Do I need to claim that money as a contribution since I inherited it?  When I put it in I am told that I have over contributed and will be penalized. How can I avoid that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

inheritance money

It depends.  If the money was not in an IRA, then you were not allowed to roll it over into an IRA.  If you do want to contribute to an IRA, then you can put in the maximum you are allowed.

Review the details in the link below if it was an IRA before you cashed it in and if you qualify to roll it into another IRA in your name.

Maximum IRA Contributions for 2022 (if funds were not originally in an IRA):

• For 2022, $6,000, or $7,000 if you’re age 50 or older by the end of the year; or your taxable compensation for the year.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

inheritance money

Yes, this is an IRA contribution, not a rollover.

Apparently you are not eligible to have made the IRA contribution.  The excess contribution is subject to a 6% penalty every year unless corrected.  As long as you file your tax return or request a filing extension by the end of today, April 18, 2023, you have until October 15, 2023 to obtain a return of the excess contribution to avoid the penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies