Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inconsistent IRA deduction in What-If worksheet

I've added a what-if worksheet to the tax return I'm working on to compare the effects of different combinations of deductions. As people who've used a what-if will know, column 1 comes pre-filled, reflecting the current state of the return. In my case, that column shows an IRA deduction of $2580 on line 32. This matches the amount shown on the IRA contribution worksheet and the IRA SS worksheet that that draws from in this case.

The problem I'm having is that if I use one of the check boxes to copy that column's data to one of the other three columns (any one of them), the value shown on line 32 for that copied column is different. This is after altering nothing in the copied column. Despite every single value above it being identical to those in column 1, column 2, 3, or 4 will show an IRA deduction of only $770, with some consequent changes in rows below. None of the boxes to use 2022 rates are checked. I've tried toggling them. I've also tried destroying and recreating the what-if worksheet. It makes no difference.

Before concluding that this is in fact the bug it seems to be, can anyone think of a reason this might be happening? Based on past experience with TurboTax I'm wondering whether it might be the result of entries in some other worksheet(s) being in an inconsistent or unexpected state or something, but don't know where to look. Any ideas?

I know I could override the $770, but I'd rather not assume that I'm correct in thinking that the changes I make to the other deductions in columns 2–4 won't alter the allowable IRA deduction if I don't have to. Also, if it is in fact a bug, I'd like to get it brought to Intuit's attention. (Any help with that would be appreciated too.)

Interestingly, if I do override the $770 in line 32, I also have to override line 41 because it then shows a different value than column 1 on that line, too, also for no apparent reason.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Inconsistent IRA deduction in What-If worksheet

I tried that and and cannot reproduce that, line 32 carried exactally to the column I selected to copy to.    Did you modify your income so that it was in the phase out amount and might only partly be deductible?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies