Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cewa18

In what tax year do I report corrections made for excess Roth IRA contributions made in calendar year 2019 for 2018 tax year?

I incorrectly made an excess Roth IRA contribution for 2018. I quickly discovered the error and had the excess removed from the account. Both the initial deposit and subsequent removal occurred in March 2019. I understand that because this was corrected prior to April 15 filing, the contribution is treated as if it were never contributed. But in the couple of days it was in the account, there was a small amount of earnings that I must now report. My understanding is that I report that as my income on line 4b of my 1040. TurboTax will not allow me to enter the earnings, I’m guessing because I do not have a 1099. The question is: should I be reporting this on 2018 taxes because it was a [non]contribution for 2018 Roth IRA, or on 2019 taxes since this took place in calendar year 2019 and I won’t receive a 1099 for this transaction until next year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

In what tax year do I report corrections made for excess Roth IRA contributions made in calendar year 2019 for 2018 tax year?

per pub 590 -- the interest earned  for the excess contribution for 2018 should be recognized  on your return for the year 2018 i.e. the year  for which the excess was generated  ( that is because each year contribution essentially works as a separate account"      ,  Here is what it says :..

"How to treat withdrawn interest or other income.

You must include in your gross income the interest or other income that was earned on the excess contribution. Report it on your return for the year in which the excess contribution was made"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

per pub 590 -- the interest earned  for the excess contribution for 2018 should be recognized  on your return for the year 2018 i.e. the year  for which the excess was generated  ( that is because each year contribution essentially works as a separate account"      ,  Here is what it says :..

"How to treat withdrawn interest or other income.

You must include in your gross income the interest or other income that was earned on the excess contribution. Report it on your return for the year in which the excess contribution was made"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies