Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the $2M net worth test (covered expatriate), "government-provided" retirement plan such as social security and foreign pension is not included, right?

Also, in Form 8854 requires explanation of significant changes in assets in 5 years before expatriating; if I open/close bank accounts and ACH transfer among them, that is not "significant" right?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

In the $2M net worth test (covered expatriate), "government-provided" retirement plan such as social security and foreign pension is not included, right?

@_Aw_3_1 ,  can you tell me a little bit of your situation --- are you a GreenCard or a citizen  expatriating ?  When did you actually for expatriation ?  Which country are you going to ?    What forms  have you filed, including your last  1040 

Any information about the situation would help.

I will come back once I hear from you .

pk

I am a GreenCard holder expatriating in about 6 years.  Going to Japan.  Currently, I reside in US and am filing normal tax return based on W-2 from work.  But my questions are about Form 8854 applicable to both US citizen and long term lawful resident, expatriating to any country. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies