turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tomdybick

In my new consulting business (post retirement), I had expenses but no income. Can I deduct the expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In my new consulting business (post retirement), I had expenses but no income. Can I deduct the expenses?

If the business was actually operating to make a profit then yes, you can have expenses with no income.

If the business was starting up and not yet operating, these would be start up expenses and deducted in year the business started.

So determine if it was open for business and if it was then deduct them.  Just make sure business starts showing income in 2nd year and is operating to make money as IRS looks closer at companies with losses.  However new businesses usually start this way, so make sure you keep good records with your tax file. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the business was actually operating to make a profit then yes, you can have expenses with no income.

If the business was starting up and not yet operating, these would be start up expenses and deducted in year the business started.

So determine if it was open for business and if it was then deduct them.  Just make sure business starts showing income in 2nd year and is operating to make money as IRS looks closer at companies with losses.  However new businesses usually start this way, so make sure you keep good records with your tax file. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies