Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In my first partial year of retirement, I received late in year some taxable inheritance. How do I get waiver of underpayment penalty?

I know it is on form 2210 AI, but the form is impossible to understand.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

In my first partial year of retirement, I received late in year some taxable inheritance. How do I get waiver of underpayment penalty?

First double check if your 2018 tax payments, both withholding and estimated tax payments, reached or exceeded 80% of the tax calculated minus credits.  If so, you will still need Form 2210, but, as I understand it, TurboTax will create it and check the relevant boxes on it.

If not, then your retirement in 2018 opens the door to requesting a waiver.  This can be done in TurboTax in the Other Tax Situations dialogues.  From the Form 2210 instructions (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2210.pdf:(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waiver of Penalty
If you have an underpayment, all or part of the penalty for that underpayment will be waived if the IRS determines that:

In 2017 or 2018, you retired after reaching age 62 or became disabled, and your underpayment was due to reasonable cause (and not willful neglect), or
• The underpayment was due to a casualty, disaster, or other unusual circumstance, and it would be inequitable to impose the penalty. For federally declared disaster areas, see Federally declared disaster.

To request any of the above waivers, do the following.
1. Check box A or box B in Part II.
a. If you checked box A, complete only page 1 of Form 2210 and attach it to your tax return (you aren't required to figure the amount of penalty to be waived).
b. If you checked box B, complete Form 2210 through line 16 (or if you use the regular method, line 26 plus the penalty worksheet, later) without regard to the waiver. Enter the amount you want waived in parentheses on the dotted line next to line 17 (line 27 for the regular method). Subtract this amount from the total penalty you figured without regard to the waiver, and enter the result on line 17 (line 27 for the regular method).
2. Attach Form 2210 and a statement to your return explaining the reasons you were unable to meet the estimated tax
requirements and the time period for which you are requesting a waiver.
3. If you are requesting a waiver due to retirement or disability, attach documentation that shows your retirement date (and your age on that date) or the date you became disabled.
4. If you are requesting a waiver due to a casualty, disaster(other than a federally declared disaster as discussed next), or other unusual circumstance, attach documentation such as copies of
police and insurance company reports.

The IRS will review the information you provide and decide whether to grant your request for a waiver.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies