turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ssa

In Massachusetts tax forms, Is Roth IRA qualified withdrawals included in your taxable income ? Is IRA to Roth IRA conversion taxed in Massachusetts ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

In Massachusetts tax forms, Is Roth IRA qualified withdrawals included in your taxable income ? Is IRA to Roth IRA conversion taxed in Massachusetts ?

Massachusetts follows the federal rules concerning rollovers from existing IRAs to Roth IRAs. However, similar to the Massachusetts treatment of IRA distributions, the amount includible on the Massachusetts return by a Massachusetts full-year and/or part-year resident will only include the amounts in excess of the original contributions that were previously taxed by Massachusetts. 

Once you've entered your information into the program, Turbotax will figure the amount of taxable rollover. 

Please view the Massachusetts link below for more information and to see some example calculations.

http://www.mass.gov/dor/individuals/filing-and-payment-information/guide-to-personal-income-tax/form...

A follow up questions: all of my traditional IRA contribution is after tax, and then I converted all of it to Roth. It should not be subjected to either Federal or MA tax, correct? Why Turbotax suggest there is no additional Federal tax but MA tax? How to correct it? Thanks.

Hi there - this is a great question and I am running into it as well.  It keeps adding 5.3% MA tax on when I track the before and after MA tax owed.  My federal does not change.  Did you figure out how to fix this?

I will add my contributions to my Traditional are non-deductible.  I'm doing the backdoor and I keep seeing my MA state tax goes up by 5.3% of the $6K.  So frustrating.  

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

I assume you are a tax resident of MA.

After entering your 1099-R in the Federal section of TurboTax, then go to your MA taxes.

You need to continue through the MA state screens until you get to the screen, Taxable IRA/Keogh Distributions.  On that screen, there is a box to enter "Other Contributions Previously Taxed by MA"  This is where you should enter your previously taxed contributions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies