Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aikanal

If we contributed 3850 and 7750 our hsas, why turbotax says we contributed 11150 more and why we may allocate the excess contribution of 7500?

Excess hsa contribution page says "You contributed $11,150 more to your HSAs than you were allowed. From this amount, you may allocate $7,500 of excess contribution between you. Who should we treat as having made the excess contribution of $7,500?" 

However, I don't understand how 11,150 is calculated and why our limit is 3650 even though we are filing the tax as married couple jointly.

If I understood correctly the rule, our contribution limit is 7750 and we need to withdraw 3850. Our w-2 shows that our contributions are 3850 and 7750 too.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

If we contributed 3850 and 7750 our hsas, why turbotax says we contributed 11150 more and why we may allocate the excess contribution of 7500?

Please tell me the following:

1. is it just one HSA for one of you, or does your spouse also have an HSA?

2. Do you have Family HDHP coverage or just Self?

3. Did you have HDHP coverage for all 12 months?

4. Did either of you go on Medicare during the year?

5. Did either of you have conflicting medical coverage, like an FSA or employer coverage that was not HDHP?

6. Did either of you have excess HSA contributions in 2022 that you carried over?

Please answer these questions so that we can give you the right answers the first time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aikanal

For more details,

1. is it just one HSA for one of you, or does your spouse also have an HSA?

It is for both. Each of us has HSA, mine single, my spouse has family for last march to December, before that, it was also single for herself.

2. Do you have Family HDHP coverage or just Self?

Both of us had HDHP coverages, mine from my company as single for 2023, my spouse from her company as single for Jan ~Feb and as family for Mar~December for 2023.

3. Did you have HDHP coverage for all 12 months?

Yes.

4. Did either of you go on Medicare during the year?

No. However, we took the maternity leave for 3~4 months.

5. Did either of you have conflicting medical coverage, like an FSA or employer coverage that was not HDHP?

I had $610.00 Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account (LPFSA) which is rolled over to 2024.

6. Did either of you have excess HSA contributions in 2022 that you carried over?

No.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

I can't make this work.

Let me restate what I heard you say:

TP (you): Self-only HDHP all 12 months, you contributed 3,850.

SP (your spouse): Self-only HDHP Jan-Feb, Family HDHP March to December, SP contributed 7,750 

How did the TP contribute the 3,850? Through code W in box 12 in the W-2?

How did the SP contribute the 7,750? Through code W in box 12 of the W-2?

Did either spouse make direct contributions to with HSA  (i.e., not through the employer)?

Like I said, I can't remotely make this work - 11,150 from where? 

If I can't get a satisfactory explanation, I will ask you to to an HSA Reset to start over on your HSAs.

"why our limit is 3650 even though we are filing the tax as married couple jointly." Your filing status does not matter but only the type of HDHP policy you had.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies