turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

raypop-

If the only tax forms you get are a RRB-1099 and RRB-1099-R are you required to file it with the state? No state taxes were taken out, and turbotax says no taxes are due when i run it for the state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If the only tax forms you get are a RRB-1099 and RRB-1099-R are you required to file it with the state? No state taxes were taken out, and turbotax says no taxes are due when i run it for the state.

No, Railroad Retirement Board income is not taxable by the state so if you have no other income, you do not need to file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, Railroad Retirement Board income is not taxable by the state so if you have no other income, you do not need to file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cmtbeme
Returning Member

Along the same lines, I'm filing my retired dad's taxes and the only annuity he receives is through the RRB (RRB-1099 and RRB-1099-R). Given RRB annuities are not taxable by states (https://www.rrb.gov/Benefits/IncomeTax/TXB-25), he shouldn't be paying MD tax on his RRB benefits. However, the MD state TurboTax module is insisting that part of his annuity is taxable. A CPA looked over his taxes (and also filed them last year) and they agreed and informed me that he should be refunded any taxes that were given to MD throughout 2019.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies