Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I use 401k funds to purchase an income annuity will the annuity payments meet the R M D requirements

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

If I use 401k funds to purchase an income annuity will the annuity payments meet the R M D requirements

If you roll your 401(k) into an annuity within an IRA, the annuity payments will count towards your RMD requirements. Whether or not they will meet the RMD requirements in full depends upon many different factors (age, sex, type of annuity, total qualified plan assets, etc.) and is beyond the scope of AnswerXchange - which is a public forum.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

If you roll your 401(k) into an annuity within an IRA, the annuity payments will count towards your RMD requirements. Whether or not they will meet the RMD requirements in full depends upon many different factors (age, sex, type of annuity, total qualified plan assets, etc.) and is beyond the scope of AnswerXchange - which is a public forum.

dmertz
Level 15

The annuity payments to you generally only meet the RMD requirements with respect to the annuity itself.  However, if this annuity was purchased *within* the 401(k) account, the annuity payments to you will apply toward satisfying the RMD for the entire 401(k) only during the year that the annuity was purchased.  After the first year, the annuity payments to you will only satisfy the portion of the 401(k)'s RMD corresponding to the annuity itself.  Note that the 401(k) is required to make sure that they distribute to you all RMD amounts required of you, otherwise the entire 401(k) plan risks disqualification.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies