Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I repay the withdrawals for a coronavirus distribution to my Roth IRA, will my 2023 AGI be reduced by the amount I pay back, since it was included in my 2020 AGI?

I filed my 2020 taxes using Turbotax and on those taxes I paid for the full amount of my Roth IRA withdrawals that year because I was under 59.5 years old. The Roth was/is an active IRA account and was /is much older than 5 years. I avoided the 10% early withdrawal penalty because the withdrawals fell under the exception for Coronavirus emergency-related withdrawals. I could have spread the income across 3 years but opted to have the withdrawals all included in my 2020 AGI. I have the option to pay back the withdrawals into my Roth IRA within 3 years, and it will be processed as some kind of rollover, I think, if I do that. My question is: if I repay the withdrawals in 2023, will my 2023 AGI be reduced by the amount I pay back, given that the withdrawals were all part of my 2020 AGI?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If I repay the withdrawals for a coronavirus distribution to my Roth IRA, will my 2023 AGI be reduced by the amount I pay back, since it was included in my 2020 AGI?

If you repay the distribution, because you included the entire amount in income on your 2020 tax return you'll need to amend your 2020 tax to obtain a refund of the taxes paid.  Nothing of this would go on your 2023 tax return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If  it was a Roth IRA, your contributions were not included in your AGI.  If you make a repayment, it will be treated as a rollover- look for the screen below in the retirement section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

For 2020, did you complete Form 8606 Part III prior to making entries on Form 8915-E, as required by the Instructions?

If not you should amend your 2020 tax return.

@yejtax 

dmertz
Level 15

If you repay the distribution, because you included the entire amount in income on your 2020 tax return you'll need to amend your 2020 tax to obtain a refund of the taxes paid.  Nothing of this would go on your 2023 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies