Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grayjw

If I make "after tax" contributions to a 401K, why can't I withdrawal some of that money without the IRS 10% penalty?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I make "after tax" contributions to a 401K, why can't I withdrawal some of that money without the IRS 10% penalty?

Why do you think that you cannot?    Of course, withdrawing after-tax money only depends on the 401(k) plan rules.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

Be aware, though, that distributions from the after-tax sub-account in your 401(k) (which includes any pre-tax investment gains attributable to the after-tax contributions) which may be distributed separately from the rest of your 401(k) are distributed as a proportionate mix of pre-tax and after-tax amounts.  That means that if there are investment gains, at least a portion of the distribution will be taxable and subject to the early-distribution penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies