Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

t_j_allen

If I had to pay back unemployment that I didn't qualify for in 2020, but didn't make the repayment until 2021, do I just report the full 1099-G numbers on my 202 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If I had to pay back unemployment that I didn't qualify for in 2020, but didn't make the repayment until 2021, do I just report the full 1099-G numbers on my 202 taxes?

Amounts repaid in the same year can be netted with compensation received. Otherwise, a tax benefit is available only if a future year repayment is more than $3,000.

If you repay 2020 unemployment benefits in 2021 or any future year, and the repaid amount is $3,000 or less, there is no tax benefit available. 

If the amount you repay in a subsequent year is more than $3,000 you will have two options available for your 2021 tax return:

• Option 1. Claim a miscellaneous itemized deduction for the amount repaid. Note that the deduction is not subject to the 2% of AGI limitation.
  • Option 2. Claim a refundable credit. The credit is calculated by refiguring her 2020 taxes as if the excess unemployment compensation had not been received. The credit is the difference between the recalculated taxes and the taxes originally paid. It is reported on Schedule 3, line 13.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies