turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

all7020

If I did a lump-sum distribution on a Roth IRA being 64 and had it for more than 5 years. Do I pay tax on any part?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If I did a lump-sum distribution on a Roth IRA being 64 and had it for more than 5 years. Do I pay tax on any part?

Because you were over age 59½ and you made your first contribution to a Roth IRA for a year prior to 2012, any distribution from your Roth IRA is a qualified distribution, tax and penalty free.  After entering this Form 1099-r, be sure to click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R entries page, and, if TurboTax asks, indicate that you made your first contribution before 2012.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Because you were over age 59½ and you made your first contribution to a Roth IRA for a year prior to 2012, any distribution from your Roth IRA is a qualified distribution, tax and penalty free.  After entering this Form 1099-r, be sure to click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R entries page, and, if TurboTax asks, indicate that you made your first contribution before 2012.

considering your total contributions, did you have a loss or a gain on your Roth adventure?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies