Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I accept a 1099 independent contractor job, is there anything I need to do right away as far as taxes go? Should I just set aside money for next year's tax filing?

I am considering getting a second job and most of the positions that fit my schedule are 1099 independent contractor jobs. I also have a full time W2 position with another company. Would I need to begin making estimated tax payments right away or will that go into effect after I file taxes next year (for 2024)? Are estimated tax payments required or are they optional? I don't want to accept a position and then find myself in trouble later on.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

If I accept a 1099 independent contractor job, is there anything I need to do right away as far as taxes go? Should I just set aside money for next year's tax filing?

You normally should have paid at least 100% of last year's tax by the end of the year. Note that your tax will apparently increase a lot because you will be paying income tax on your 1099-NEC as well as self-employment taxes on your net profit from the side gig.

Don't wait until the end of the year, but create a test return (easier if you have the desktop software - Online requires a separate TurboTax account), and try out your probable tax return, assuming that the 2023 software will put you in the right ballpark. Then aim to have paid 100% of tax by the end of the year (just to be safe).

I have done this, and I would put 25% of my gross each pay period into a savings account from which I would make as an estimated tax payment every quarter.

Your numbers will absolutely vary because some people have such high withholding on their W-2, that they don't need to do this. But you won't know until you make the test return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

there are four estimated tax payment dates.

IRS expacts you to estimate your tax and keep uptodate

because, as a contractor, there will be no withholding.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies