Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a contractor and even tho i'm a 1099 last year taxes kept being taken out every check. So i received a W-2 instead of a 1099, how do i file this?

Filing the W-2 won't allow me to make deductions i normally would as a 1099. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

I am a contractor and even tho i'm a 1099 last year taxes kept being taken out every check. So i received a W-2 instead of a 1099, how do i file this?

When you work, a company either classifies you as an employee or independent contractor/business. If they've given you a W-2, they've classified you as an employee. I'd recommend discussing it with the company. There is a form to file to dispute the 'worker classification' with the IRS, but typically companies break the "rules" in the other direction (classifying you with a 1099) because it's more expensive for them to treat you as an employee. Learn more on this form HERE.

You can still enter your 'Unreimbursed job expenses' but they aren't deducted as advantageously as when you're self-employed. Instead these are limited by 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI- a subtotal on your tax return) and part of the itemized deductions, so you must itemize in order to get any benefit.  

To enter employee job expenses, follow the steps below. 

1. Click 'Take me to my return'
  2. Select the 'Federal Taxes' tab and then click the 'Deductions & Credits' tab below it
  3. Scroll down to the 'Employee Expenses' section and click the blue hyperlink 'Show more'
  4. Click 'Start' or 'Revisit' next to 'Job Expenses for W-2'
  5. Next you'll be asked about your 'occupation'This section will ask about all job expenses. [Note: if you already updated this section or some of the questions from this section, you may be on a summary screen and need to click 'Edit' next to the applicable 'Occupation']

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AmandaR1

When you work, a company either classifies you as an employee or independent contractor/business. If they've given you a W-2, they've classified you as an employee. I'd recommend discussing it with the company. There is a form to file to dispute the 'worker classification' with the IRS, but typically companies break the "rules" in the other direction (classifying you with a 1099) because it's more expensive for them to treat you as an employee. Learn more on this form HERE.

You can still enter your 'Unreimbursed job expenses' but they aren't deducted as advantageously as when you're self-employed. Instead these are limited by 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI- a subtotal on your tax return) and part of the itemized deductions, so you must itemize in order to get any benefit.  

To enter employee job expenses, follow the steps below. 

1. Click 'Take me to my return'
  2. Select the 'Federal Taxes' tab and then click the 'Deductions & Credits' tab below it
  3. Scroll down to the 'Employee Expenses' section and click the blue hyperlink 'Show more'
  4. Click 'Start' or 'Revisit' next to 'Job Expenses for W-2'
  5. Next you'll be asked about your 'occupation'This section will ask about all job expenses. [Note: if you already updated this section or some of the questions from this section, you may be on a summary screen and need to click 'Edit' next to the applicable 'Occupation']

Can i just file a 1099 and put the amount of taxes i paid?
AmandaR1

I wouldn't recommend it. Most likely the IRS will adjust your return and ADD the w-2.

they took taxes out for 8 months, and the finally stopped. i have w-2 and 1099 forms from the same company. im 100% 1099 i spend money to make money, w-2 wont allow me to show it.
AmandaR1

Like I'm explaining, the easiest thing to do is get the company to issue you corrected forms. Otherwise, refer to form SS-8 to dispute the worker classification with the IRS. These are your options.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies