turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seagrove

I will inherit IRA from a 71 yr old brother who died in 2018. estate was the named beneficiary. can It be spread over period of years? can I put it Inherited IRA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

I will inherit IRA from a 71 yr old brother who died in 2018. estate was the named beneficiary. can It be spread over period of years? can I put it Inherited IRA?

Yes, the IRA presently maintained for the benefit of your brother's estate can be transferred to an Inherited IRA for your benefit unless the IRA agreement requires a distribution to the estate under these circumstances, but many financial institutions will refuse to to do so.  If the present financial institution refuses, the executor or personal representative of your brother's estate might need to move the IRA by to another financial institution that is more accommodating.  The inherited IRA is permitted to be moved only by trustee-to-trustee transfer.  It is not permitted to be moved by distribution and rollover.

Whether on not the IRA is transferred to one for your benefit, RMDs will be based on the beneficiary having been the estate.  If you brother died before his Required Beginning Date for RMDs, April 1 of the year following the year he reached age 70½, the 5-year rule must be used which requires that the account be fully drained by the end of 2023 in this case.  If your brother died after his RBD (in this case if your brother had reached age 70½ in 2017 and died after April 1, 2018), RMDs would be based on his remaining life expectancy in 2018 (16.3 years or 15.5 years depending on his age on his 2018 birthday), reduced by 1 for each subsequent year, and the beneficiary is also responsible for completing any uncompleted portion of his 2018 RMD.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies