emorypt

I was told a refund of excess 401K 2017 plan year contribution, received in 2018, would not affect my 2017 taxes. Why did they jump up $60.00 when I reported $239?

Rachel_W

The excess 401(k) contribution is added back into your Wage Income for 2017, so there will be an increase in your tax liability.

Taking the excess contribution out before the due date of your return keeps you from being taxed twice on the excess contribution.  If you fail to withdraw the excess 2017 401(k) Contribution by April 17, 2018, you will be taxed on this amount now and then again when you actually take it out.

You can check out IRS Pub 525, Page 10, for more information: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

Rachel_W