Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

June1-2-3

I was notified by Turbotax that my social security number is on the dark web. What do I do. I have contacted the 3 major credit bureaus of this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I was notified by Turbotax that my social security number is on the dark web. What do I do. I have contacted the 3 major credit bureaus of this?

If your Social Security number (SSN) has been compromised 

1. Monitor Your Credit Reports: Request a free credit report from the three major credit bureaus—Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion—at AnnualCreditReport.com. Check for any suspicious activity or accounts you don’t recognize.
2. Place a Fraud Alert: Contact one of the credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit report. This alert will make it harder for someone to open accounts in your name. When you request a fraud alert with one bureau, they will notify the other two.
3. Consider a Credit Freeze: A credit freeze prevents creditors from accessing your credit report, making it difficult for identity thieves to open accounts in your name. You can lift the freeze when you need to apply for credit. You’ll need to contact each of the three major credit bureaus to do this.
4. Sign Up for Identity Theft Protection Services: Some companies offer monitoring services that alert you if there are any changes in your credit report or if your personal information is used to apply for credit. Some services also offer assistance in restoring your identity if it’s stolen.
5. Report Identity Theft: If you suspect your identity has been stolen, report it to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at IdentityTheft.gov. They will help you create a recovery plan.
6. Monitor Your Financial Accounts: Regularly check your bank and credit card statements for any unauthorized transactions. Set up alerts for any activity on your accounts.
7. File Your Taxes Early: Since Social Security numbers are often used for tax fraud, filing your taxes early can help prevent someone else from filing a fraudulent return in your name.

To clarify, this is not from Turbotax, but from IDNotify, which is a service you might subscribe to as an add-on when filing your return.  

After the most recent breaches, I think everyone pretty much needs to assume their information is available.  the real problem is that SSNs are not supposed to be used for identification but they have become so more or less by accident.

You can pay for credit monitoring but that is probably more than most people need to do.  I have placed either a lock or a freeze on my credit files (prevents most attempts to take out new loans in my name) and I have credit cards that provide credit monitoring -- they will tell me if my score decreases and I can go look why that might be.  You want to make sure you use secure passwords on your banking sites and don't re-use passwords--if someone cracks a low security site like a fan web site you comment on, you don't want that password to also work on high security sites like banks and investments.  You can also turn on two-factor authentication when available. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies