turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to take a qualified distribution from my Roth to pay some debt. It states everywhere that there is No Tax and No penalty. Is this correct? Is this Income?

I just want to be absolutely sure that I Do Not have to claim this as income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I want to take a qualified distribution from my Roth to pay some debt. It states everywhere that there is No Tax and No penalty. Is this correct? Is this Income?

Yes. You can take out whatever you put into your Roth, tax-free, because you already paid taxes on that money. 

You'll receive form 1099-R and report it on your income tax return but it won't be taxed.

You can also make tax-free withdrawals on any additional earnings in your Roth IRA unless either of the following are true:

• You're making the withdrawal less than 5 years after establishing the Roth.
  • You're making an early withdrawal (before age 59½) without the exception for death, disability, or the $10,000 first-time homebuyer distribution.

In a nutshell, as long as your Roth has been open for at least 5 years, you can withdraw as much as you want (if you're 59½ or older) or anything up to the amount you put in (if you're under 59½) without any taxes or penalties.

Related Information:

Source: TurboTax FAQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

A qualified distribution means that you have met the 5-year requirement and that you have reached age 59½ (or meet the IRS definition of disabled or have died).  The tax code defines qualified distributions as nontaxable income.

A nontaxable Roth IRA distribution must be reported on your tax return, will be included in the amount on Form 1040 line 4a, but will not appear elsewhere or affect anything else on your tax return because it is nontaxable.

There is no 5 year requirement to make your original Roth IRA contributions nontaxable when distributed.  Original contributions always come out first, tax and penalty free.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies