Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to convert an i401k to an ira and then a roth ira in the same year first I want to convert a thrift savings plan and employer 401k to an ira (rollover).

After I move to an income tax free state convert the i401k since I will no longer be self employed to the same rollover ira and then later this year convert that ira to a roth ira. Is that doable and legal in the same year? In the tax free state I will be employed and will get a 401k and will roll that over into the roth ira. This will be my lowest grossing year AGI wise. Also I want to do this before they close this backdoor conversion

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

I want to convert an i401k to an ira and then a roth ira in the same year first I want to convert a thrift savings plan and employer 401k to an ira (rollover).

There are no timing restrictions on when you can perform Roth conversions.  You can also roll money from a 401(k) plan or the federal TSP directly to a Roth IRA in a taxable rollover at any time that you are permitted to distribute this money from the 401(k) or TSP.  To make this be income in your new state rather than in your old state, these Roth conversions or rollovers to the Roth IRA must occur after you establish residency in the new state.

Not sure what you are referring to as a backdoor conversion.  You haven't mentioned making any nondeductible traditional IRA contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies