turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used a 50k 60 day rollover from my 401k, got taxed appropriately at 20%, and rolled it into an IRA (paid back the 10k to roll full 50k). Can I claim the orig 10k tax?

60 Day rollover, 401k to IRA, was told I could claim the 20% taxed since I rolled it back in within the 60 days, but cannot find an appropriate place to report it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I used a 50k 60 day rollover from my 401k, got taxed appropriately at 20%, and rolled it into an IRA (paid back the 10k to roll full 50k). Can I claim the orig 10k tax?

Yes.

Your 1099-R will show $50,000 in income, and $10,000 in tax payments. After entering the 1099-R, you are asked if you rolled the money into another plan. When you indicate that you rolled $50,000 into a Traditional IRA, your tax liability is $0 and you have a payment of $10,000.

The $10,000 is a federal tax payment on your return along with all of your withholding and estimated payments, and you are adding no additional income.

Do you have the 1099-R? This situation is accounted for with the entry of the 1099-R and just a few questions after that. The $10,000 should be shown in Box 4. That's the only place you need to enter it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies