Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tkopunch

I took money out of an IRA. This was used for a down payment on a home purchase. However, this is not my first home purchase. Can i still use that as an deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

I took money out of an IRA. This was used for a down payment on a home purchase. However, this is not my first home purchase. Can i still use that as an deduction?

The IRS allows an exception if you have not owned a home for the past two years. In this situation, you may be able to take an exclusion from penalty for an early IRA withdrawal.

However, this $10,000 penalty exclusion is a lifetime limit. If you have excluded $10,000 of an early IRA distribution for first time home purchase in the past, you cannot take the exclusion again.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Fern

The IRS allows an exception if you have not owned a home for the past two years. In this situation, you may be able to take an exclusion from penalty for an early IRA withdrawal.

However, this $10,000 penalty exclusion is a lifetime limit. If you have excluded $10,000 of an early IRA distribution for first time home purchase in the past, you cannot take the exclusion again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies