turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kwlppl

I took a distribution from my IRA. It asked if any of this was an early distribution and I checked no. The taxes seem to be higher than I expected.

How can I check to make sure turbotax is not applying the early withdrawal 10% penalty
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I took a distribution from my IRA. It asked if any of this was an early distribution and I checked no. The taxes seem to be higher than I expected.

Solved in comments

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

That is determined by the code in box 7 on your 1099-R.
What code is in box 7?
Are you over age 59 1/2?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
kwlppl

Code 7, I took the distribution on December 1st. Birthday is May 31st. So yes I was over 59 1/2.  I consulted with Fidelity representatives to confirm this

A code 7 is a normal distribution only subject to the normal income tax - not any penalty.
kwlppl

Thank you.  Also, after completing all sections of the TurboTax return it actually stated that I did not pay an early withdrawal penalty.  It would have answered my question eventually.

Solved in comments

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies