kwlppl

I took a distribution from my IRA. It asked if any of this was an early distribution and I checked no. The taxes seem to be higher than I expected.

How can I check to make sure turbotax is not applying the early withdrawal 10% penalty

Solved in comments

That is determined by the code in box 7 on your 1099-R.
What code is in box 7?
Are you over age 59 1/2?
kwlppl

Code 7, I took the distribution on December 1st. Birthday is May 31st. So yes I was over 59 1/2.  I consulted with Fidelity representatives to confirm this

A code 7 is a normal distribution only subject to the normal income tax - not any penalty.
kwlppl

Thank you.  Also, after completing all sections of the TurboTax return it actually stated that I did not pay an early withdrawal penalty.  It would have answered my question eventually.

Solved in comments

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing