Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took a COVID Related Distribution from my 401k. I input the first 1099-R and designated it a CRD (no penalty tax). But TurboTax wont give me the option for the 2nd one

Is this a software error?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I took a COVID Related Distribution from my 401k. I input the first 1099-R and designated it a CRD (no penalty tax). But TurboTax wont give me the option for the 2nd one

What is the code in box 7 for the second 1099-R?

Please follow these steps to use the workaround discussed in 1099R Coronavirus Exception Issue to enter your 1099-R if you have code B1 in box 7:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” and enter all 1099-R information, enter code "1" but do not enter code "B" in box 7
  4. Continue until "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply" screen
  5. Select "I took out this money because of a qualified disaster (includes COVID-19)"
  6. Answer all questions in regards to the COVID distribution to trigger that you qualify for the Qualified Disaster Retirement treatment.
  7.  On the “Review your 1099-R info” screen click "edit" and add code "B" to the 1099-R Form entry.
  8. When you continue the COVID questions are still accessible

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

What is the code in box 7 for the second 1099-R?

Please follow these steps to use the workaround discussed in 1099R Coronavirus Exception Issue to enter your 1099-R if you have code B1 in box 7:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” and enter all 1099-R information, enter code "1" but do not enter code "B" in box 7
  4. Continue until "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply" screen
  5. Select "I took out this money because of a qualified disaster (includes COVID-19)"
  6. Answer all questions in regards to the COVID distribution to trigger that you qualify for the Qualified Disaster Retirement treatment.
  7.  On the “Review your 1099-R info” screen click "edit" and add code "B" to the 1099-R Form entry.
  8. When you continue the COVID questions are still accessible

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The code is 1B

I see I'm not the first to have this problem - I'll try the workaround identified here and post an update.

Thanks for your reply!

Dan

Thanks again, I had to leave off all the Roth data blocks to get the covid related option to come up, then went back and added the Roth data.  

Seems like a glitch in the software, could end up costing someone if they're not paying attention!

-Dan

dmertz
Level 15

Right.  The workaround needed to get around the flaw in TurboTax that prevents it from asking if the code 1B distribution is COVID-19-related is to enter the Form 1099-R as is but omit the code B and selecting code 1 as the first code selection, complete the follow-up questions, then, when you reach the Review Your 1099-R Info page, edit this 1099-R and add the code-B to the as the second box 7 code. The COVID-19-related information will remain even though you won't have access to those questions with the code B present.

This flaw is present in the online version of TurboTax but not in the CD/download version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies