I rolled the balance of my retirement plan from my...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DianeS_5492

I rolled the balance of my retirement plan from my previous employer into a traditional IRA. How do I report the contribution as shown on my 5498? It looks like it wants to give me a credit.

2 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

I rolled the balance of my retirement plan from my previous employer into a traditional IRA. How do I report the contribution as shown on my 5498? It looks like it wants to give me a credit.

You should have received a 1099-R for the rollover from your retirement plan to a Traditional IRA.  The 1099-R shows the amount of the distribution and has Code G in Box 7 to indicate that it is a rollover.

You do not use the form 5498 to report this information in your return.

No you do not receive a deduction for rolling over your retirement plan to a Traditional IRA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Do not report any of this under Deductions & Credits.  The fact that TurboTax seems to be giving you a Retirement Savings Contributions Credit for this on Form 8880 implies that you mistakenly entered it under Deductions & Credits and you need to go back an remove it from there.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings