Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rolled over a 401k into an IRA to pull it early for a first time home down payment. The return is counting the 1098 for the 401k rollover as income

I rolled over my 401k into an IRA for the first time home buying downpayment. Turbotax is counting my rollover as income as well as the IRA 1098. Is this correct or did I screw up somewhere?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I rolled over a 401k into an IRA to pull it early for a first time home down payment. The return is counting the 1098 for the 401k rollover as income

As long as you did a direct rollover (trustee to trustee), or if distributed to you, you deposited the funds into your IRA within 60 days, the transaction is not taxable.   After you enter(ed) the 1099-R, there is a page that asks "What Did You Do With The Money From [Retirement Plan]"

Be sure you indicate first that you "...moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account)."  and that you "rolled over all of this money to another IRA or other retirement account (or returned it to the same account)."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

TuboTax should be showing the rollover from the 401(k) to the traditional IRA as nontaxable income.  Check to see that the amount is included on Form 1040 line 5a but is excluded from line 5b with the ROLLOVER notation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies