turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tk84

I repaid my social security benefits in 2017 but it is not reflected on the ssa-1099 I received what do i need to do?

I just started receiving benefits in 2017. Shortly after my benefits started my husband died. When i contacted Soc Sec I asked to terminate my benefits and  reapply for widow benefits instead. Payments stopped and I repaid all i had been paid to Soc security in 2017. This is not reflected on my ssa-1099.

The actual termination of my benefits did not get processed until jan 2018 at which time i received the back pay for 2017 widow benefits. Should i just submit my soc security as received and then in 2018 my ssa 1099 should show the return and back pay or something else? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I repaid my social security benefits in 2017 but it is not reflected on the ssa-1099 I received what do i need to do?

Social Security did not get this straighten out until 2018, so report the SSA-1099 for 2017 as it was given to you, and then for 2018, the amount on the SSA-1099 should be reduced by the repayment.

So bottom line, report the SSA-1099 for 2017 as you received it on your tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies