Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

myfrosty1

I received unemployment benefits in 2020 but was told I had to pay it back, so my case is currently under appeal, do I have to claim what I received?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

I received unemployment benefits in 2020 but was told I had to pay it back, so my case is currently under appeal, do I have to claim what I received?

Yes.  You will need to report in TurboTax the Unemployment benefit amounts on the 1099G received.  If it is later determined you have to pay the amounts back:

• If the repayment is $3,000 or less, then no deduction is allowed
  • If the repayment is more than $3,000, then you can claim a deduction on Schedule A, Line 16 or
  • Claim a tax credit by re-calculating the tax form from the earlier year without the income that was later repaid.

I have heard and read many states are not requiring the repayment of the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation benefits paid during 2020.  

Mponte38

How can I file my unemployment with you all after just filing my taxes?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If you received the 1099-G after submitting your return, wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects the return.

If the IRS rejects the return, you can report the 1099-G form and re-submit.

If the IRS accepts it, wait until the return has been fully processed and then amend it. 

To amend your 2020 return:

1.Log in to your account.

2.Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show),

select 2020 and then Amend (change) return.

3.Select Amend using TurboTax Online.

4 Follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.

5.You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies