Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jemj472

I received two 1099R for one withdrawal, two different amounts one has taxes taken out, one doesnt

Do I file both or just the one that has taxes taken out?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I received two 1099R for one withdrawal, two different amounts one has taxes taken out, one doesnt

I'm going to gather some info from you and ask someone with expertise in retirement tax situations to assist you, likely in the morning.

• What do you mean by two different amounts?  Different amounts where?   Is the amount in Box 1 different on the two 1099-Rs?  
  • Why do you think the 2 forms are for one distribution?
  • Is either one marked "Corrected"?
  • What is the distribution code in Box 7 for each, and is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checkmarked?

@dmertz   Are you able to please assist here when you are next in the forum.  Thanks.

dmertz
Level 15

What is the code in box 7 of each of the Forms 1099-R?

Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked on either of these forms?  If so, which ones.

It's likely that both need to be reported.  There are situations where a single requested distribution is required to be split onto two Forms 1099-R because of different destinations for separate portions of the distribution, requiring different codes in box 7.  If box 7 differs between the two, that's likely the case here.  For example, if one is under age 59½ and does a Roth conversion but has taxes withheld, the total of the two box 1 amounts would equal the total amount distributed from the traditional IRA with the tax withholding reported on a code 1 Form 1099-R and only the amount actually converted to Roth appearing on the separate code 2 Form 1099-R.

If you are asking in regard to mailing your tax return, even though both must be entered into TurboTax, include in your mailing only the one showing tax withholding.   (It won't hurt to include the other, but it's unnecessary.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies