Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received some money and a 1099-R from my mom (who is deceased) from a county retirement plan office of where she worked.

My sister (the estate executor) said it was leftover money from my mom’s leftover pre-tax health savings account split between us siblings. 

TurboTax online gives me these options:

Financial institution or other provider (1099-R)
Retirement plans like 401(k)s, IRAs, pensions, annuities, etc.

Office of Personnel Management (CSA 1099-R)
For U.S. Government Civil Service retiree annuity

Office of Personnel Management (CSF 1099-R)
For U.S. Government Civil Service survivor annuity

U.S. Railroad Retirement Board (RRB 1099-R)
For annuities or pensions

When I tried the first option, it asked if it was part of an RMB. But that doesn’t sound right.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I received some money and a 1099-R from my mom (who is deceased) from a county retirement plan office of where she worked.

A distribution paid to you as beneficiary of a Health Savings Account would have been reported to you on a Form 1099-SA, not a Form 1099-R.  Forms 1099-R are for distributions from retirement accounts.

If it really is a distribution from a retirement account reported on Form 1099-R, the distribution is taxable to you and is considered to be entirely a Required Minimum Distribution because a distribution paid to a non-spouse beneficiary is not eligible for rollover.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

Please clarify and expand upon what it is you are asking.  Is it what to enter?  How to enter?  Where to enter?  Please give us more of what you need so that we can assist you properly.

@bobi456 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

A distribution paid to you as beneficiary of a Health Savings Account would have been reported to you on a Form 1099-SA, not a Form 1099-R.  Forms 1099-R are for distributions from retirement accounts.

If it really is a distribution from a retirement account reported on Form 1099-R, the distribution is taxable to you and is considered to be entirely a Required Minimum Distribution because a distribution paid to a non-spouse beneficiary is not eligible for rollover.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies