Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received money from my fathers last social security check how do i claim it on my taxes

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I received money from my fathers last social security check how do i claim it on my taxes

It depends. If the Social Security Administration (SSA) actually sent the money to you, then you should have a SSA-1099.  You can find this information and your tax document by going to your Social Security account on the SSA site.  You can also create an account if you don't already have one. Simply click the link below to get started:

If you are unable to get the tax form you should first make sure it isn't included in your father's SSA-1099.  If it's not included in his tax form you can simply use the steps below to enter the information in your tax return.  

All SSA-1099 forms get entered in the same place:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search bar, search for the term Social Security benefits and then select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. On the screen Did you receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits in 20XX? answer Yes and select Continue.
  4. On the next screen, check the box beside Social Security benefits (Form SSA-1099), then enter the amounts from your form(s) in the boxes provided.
    • If you received multiple SSA-1099s, add up the amounts for each box and enter them together.
  5. Select Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies