Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received both US and Canada Social Security. How do I handle this? Turbo Tax only allows me to submit one SSA-1099 form. I add the Canadian SS to the US SS in this form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I received both US and Canada Social Security. How do I handle this? Turbo Tax only allows me to submit one SSA-1099 form. I add the Canadian SS to the US SS in this form?

Add the Canada benefit and the US Social Security benefit together and report on Box 5 Net Benefits for 2023.

The Canada social security equivalent benefit is explained in IRS Publication 915, page 6:

Under income tax treaties with Canada and Germany, social security benefits paid by those countries to U.S. residents are treated for U.S. income tax purposes as if they were paid under the social security legislation of the United States.

In other words, if you are a U.S. resident, enter your Canadian benefits as though you had received a Form SSA-1099 from the Social Security Administration.

Follow these directions.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security and click on the dropdown menu.
  • Click Start/Revisit to the right of Social Security.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much!  Have a great day

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies