Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a third party sick pay W-2. $0 for box 1, 12a is 'J' with a value. However, box 2 has a value for Federal Income Tax withheld. What do I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a third party sick pay W-2. $0 for box 1, 12a is 'J' with a value. However, box 2 has a value for Federal Income Tax withheld. What do I do?

If you enter the W2 as is - then you won't be able to e-file as the IRS won't accept it in this scenario.  So, you will likely want to enter the withholding without entering the W2.

And, you can actually enter additional withholding in TurboTax.  This will allow you to still e-file and account for the additional withholding.
    • Log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (you must click this first)
    • Use the search feature in the top right-hand corner of your screen
    • Searching for "estimated tax payments" and click the "jump to" link
    • Otherwise, scroll down to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2018
    • Select the first option - Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099
    • You will get a screen to enter any additional federal, state, or local taxes withheld not already reported
This will allow you to enter the withholding from the W2 without entering the W2 since you won't be able to e-file with a 0 box 1 with Code J.  Turbotax warns not to enter withholding that's already on a W2 etc because it doesn't want you to accidentally report the withholding twice.  The withholding will get transferred to the appropriate payment line on your Form 1040.  Since you are e-filing, there shouldn't be any issues with the IRS by not having a corresponding W2 because your total withholding amounts will still match in their system.

The other option is for you to just paper file your return.  You can add the W2 in the system and then paper file the whole return instead of e-filing.  The limitation for box 1 only applies to electronic filing.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you enter the W2 as is - then you won't be able to e-file as the IRS won't accept it in this scenario.  So, you will likely want to enter the withholding without entering the W2.

And, you can actually enter additional withholding in TurboTax.  This will allow you to still e-file and account for the additional withholding.
    • Log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (you must click this first)
    • Use the search feature in the top right-hand corner of your screen
    • Searching for "estimated tax payments" and click the "jump to" link
    • Otherwise, scroll down to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2018
    • Select the first option - Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099
    • You will get a screen to enter any additional federal, state, or local taxes withheld not already reported
This will allow you to enter the withholding from the W2 without entering the W2 since you won't be able to e-file with a 0 box 1 with Code J.  Turbotax warns not to enter withholding that's already on a W2 etc because it doesn't want you to accidentally report the withholding twice.  The withholding will get transferred to the appropriate payment line on your Form 1040.  Since you are e-filing, there shouldn't be any issues with the IRS by not having a corresponding W2 because your total withholding amounts will still match in their system.

The other option is for you to just paper file your return.  You can add the W2 in the system and then paper file the whole return instead of e-filing.  The limitation for box 1 only applies to electronic filing.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies