We3kot

I received a form SSA-1099 for both of my dependent children. Do I have to claim SS benefits they receive on my tax returns?

jerry2000
Alumni

If your children receive Social Security survivors/disability benefits, that is income to them, not to you. You do not enter it on your tax return. Look at Box 2 of the SSA-1099 and you should see the child’s SSN.
If that is the only income a child has, then the child does not have to file or report it either.
If the child has enough other income to be required to file, then the child reports the SS on the child's return.
ccsmitty13

I received forms SSA-1099 for my dependents.  My social security number is listed in box 2 for the form SSA-1099 I received for each of my dependents - do I claim this on my tax return since my social security number is listed?

Thanks...Chris.

VictorW9

No, your child or other dependents would report their SSA-1099 on their own tax return, but only if they make enough money to be required to file. If Social Security is your dependent's only income, they most likely don't need to file a return.