turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ttqacount

I received a 1099-G from California (I live in AZ) regarding withheld money from a non-taxable home sale in 2017. Do I need to report this?

My parents died in 2017.  The sale of their home was complete in 2017.  California (I live in AZ) withheld 7.5% of the proceeds.  I filed taxes in California and they returned all of the money in 2018.  I received a 1099-G form for 2018 from California.  Since the rest of the proceeds of the sale of the house were not taxable, do I have to report this in my 2018 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099-G from California (I live in AZ) regarding withheld money from a non-taxable home sale in 2017. Do I need to report this?

It depends.  This is not something that affects your Arizona return, but your Federal return.  You would need to report the state tax refund if you claimed the state taxes withheld as itemized deductions on last year's Federal tax return.  If you did not use itemized deductions (or did not claim these taxes withheld), you would not need to report the state tax refund.

The question is, therefore:  Did you itemize in 2017?  This FAQ can help you answer this question:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767958

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  This is not something that affects your Arizona return, but your Federal return.  You would need to report the state tax refund if you claimed the state taxes withheld as itemized deductions on last year's Federal tax return.  If you did not use itemized deductions (or did not claim these taxes withheld), you would not need to report the state tax refund.

The question is, therefore:  Did you itemize in 2017?  This FAQ can help you answer this question:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767958

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies