Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received 2 1099-R forms for CARES ACT distributions. One has code 1, another 1b in lane 7. The taxable portion form w/ 1b is getting 10% penalty. How can I fix this?

It doesn't give me the option to select: I took out this money because of qualified disaster. The taxable amount is 1/5 of the total amount of the form with 1b selected.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I received 2 1099-R forms for CARES ACT distributions. One has code 1, another 1b in lane 7. The taxable portion form w/ 1b is getting 10% penalty. How can I fix this?

A workaround is needed to get around the flaw in TurboTax that prevents it from asking if the code 1B distribution is COVID-19 -related.  Enter the Form 1099-R as is but omit the code B.  Complete the follow-up questions, then, when you reach the Review Your 1099-R Info page, edit this 1099-R and add the code-B selection.  The COVID-19-related information will remain even though you won't have access to those questions with the code B present..

View solution in original post

2 Replies

On the form with 1 for distribution reason it worked perfectly, but the one with 1b it jeopardy charging 10% penalty on taxable amount without ability to change it

dmertz
Level 15

A workaround is needed to get around the flaw in TurboTax that prevents it from asking if the code 1B distribution is COVID-19 -related.  Enter the Form 1099-R as is but omit the code B.  Complete the follow-up questions, then, when you reach the Review Your 1099-R Info page, edit this 1099-R and add the code-B selection.  The COVID-19-related information will remain even though you won't have access to those questions with the code B present..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies