turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lhendric

I paid taxes on my Traditional IRA contributions using money from my paycheck; How do I enter the distributions when I file my taxes so that i won't be taxed again?

I already paid taxes on my Traditional IRA contribution. How do I enter the distributions so that i won't be taxed again? This is a Traditional IRA account; not a Roth and never was a Roth. I've been contributing to a Traditional IRA at my credit union for several years. Next year when I start taking minimum distributions, how do I enter them when I file my taxes? Doesn't the IRS know how much I contributed and won't they expect me to pay taxes on the money? They won't know that I already paid taxes on the $$.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenC1
Expert Alumni

I paid taxes on my Traditional IRA contributions using money from my paycheck; How do I enter the distributions when I file my taxes so that i won't be taxed again?

If you already paid taxes on your Traditional IRA, then it was a Nondeductible IRA and reported on Form 8606 - Internal Revenue Service.

Next year, when you enter your 1099-R form, you will be to enter that you made Nondeductible Contributions to your IRA and TurboTax will exclude them from taxable income.  

[Edited 3-12-2020|12:58 pm PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies