turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I never filed form 8606 for non deductible IRA contributions. Since I never deducted any of the contributions Can I enter the taxable amount as zero and file 8606?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I never filed form 8606 for non deductible IRA contributions. Since I never deducted any of the contributions Can I enter the taxable amount as zero and file 8606?

Form 8606 does not have to be filed with a tax return.  It is a "signature" form.  You can complete a Form 8606 for each year you should have filed one and mail them in now.  Then you can properly complete your current Form 8606.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does it matter that the prior year 8606 forms will be filed late? One of the forms relates to a contribution that was made for 2015 tax year which would be out of statute for amending returns.  

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The 8606 should be filed to 'prove' the cost basis of your IRA.  Please see When and where to file on page 2 of the IRS instructions.

2015 form 8606 is here. If you were able to file the 2015 tax return, and the entry on form 8606 generated a refund, you would not be eligible for that refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies