Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

happyhyg1

I need to calculate a traditional ira contribution for 2016 of the $6500.00 to lower my tax liability. My W2 box 13 does not have my 401K ret plan checked,no contrib made

Also my company does not match my 401K. I want to lower my tax liability on both Fed & Ca State
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I need to calculate a traditional ira contribution for 2016 of the $6500.00 to lower my tax liability. My W2 box 13 does not have my 401K ret plan checked,no contrib made

It depends.  First, if you made 401K contributions through your employer, they should be reported in box 12 with a code D.  If you see that code, but the box 13 is not checked, you do wish to have your employer issue a corrected W-2 to account for this apparent oversight.  

The reason that this is important is that if you have a 401K, you may be limited as to how much (or even if) you can contribute tax advantaged to an IRA and be allowed to deduct the amount on this year's tax return.  Here is an FAQ on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301534

Still, even if you cannot receive the tax advantage now, it may still be wise financial planning for the future to maximize your contributions.  While you may not get the tax deduction, you will have more money put away for later in life, and that amount will not be taxable when you use is if you do not get a deduction now.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  First, if you made 401K contributions through your employer, they should be reported in box 12 with a code D.  If you see that code, but the box 13 is not checked, you do wish to have your employer issue a corrected W-2 to account for this apparent oversight.  

The reason that this is important is that if you have a 401K, you may be limited as to how much (or even if) you can contribute tax advantaged to an IRA and be allowed to deduct the amount on this year's tax return.  Here is an FAQ on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301534

Still, even if you cannot receive the tax advantage now, it may still be wise financial planning for the future to maximize your contributions.  While you may not get the tax deduction, you will have more money put away for later in life, and that amount will not be taxable when you use is if you do not get a deduction now.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies