Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

raflymtsu

I'm in the National Guard and will be deployed to a combat zone this year. My income is tax free when deployed. Under the Cares Act, can I withdraw from my 401K tax free?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm in the National Guard and will be deployed to a combat zone this year. My income is tax free when deployed. Under the Cares Act, can I withdraw from my 401K tax free?

Being deployed makes your Guard wages tax-free, it does not mean other income is tax-free (like income from selling stocks and bonds, selling your house, or taking a distribution from a 401(k).)

Additionally, to make a CARES act withdrawal, you must be able to certify one of the following conditions:

• You are diagnosed with the virus SARS-CoV-2 or with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) by a test approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;
  • Your spouse or dependent is diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2 or with COVID-19 by a test approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;
  • You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being quarantined, being furloughed or laid off, or having work hours reduced due to SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19;
  • You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being unable to work due to lack of child care due to SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19; or
  • You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of closing or reducing hours of a business that you own or operate due to SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19.
dmertz
Level 15

And qualifying as a Coronavirus-Related Distribution only exempts you from the early-distribution penalty, not the tax on any portion not repaid within 3 years of receiving the CRD.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies