Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m having trouble with line 12 due to not being able to use the code for the simple IRA. The irs website says it’s correct, but TT keeps having me go back to the area.

We’ve used TT for atleast 3 heads in a row.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I’m having trouble with line 12 due to not being able to use the code for the simple IRA. The irs website says it’s correct, but TT keeps having me go back to the area.

You mean box 12 on your W-2?

I suspect that you will have to wait for TurboTax to be updated. On January 8, 2024 (i.e., just two weeks ago) the IRS released a notice describing many changes required to implement the Secure Act 2.0 - I believe that this is what "We're updating how SEP and simple plan contributions are reported on the tax return based on new guidance from the IRS." is referring to.

Indeed, Section 601 of the Secure Act 2.0 refers specifically to Simple and SEP Roth IRAs. Code S in box 12 refers to how to handle a SIMPLE plan.

These last minute IRS (and law) changes inescapably cause delays on the part of TurboTax and other tax processors. 

It will take time for TurboTax to understand all the ramifications of this IRS Notice and then code and test the changes. The IRS is not open for filing until January 29th so you have some time to wait.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies