Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax-ache

I lost last 10 yrs TurboTax files. So the assets I entered in 179 for those yrs can't be transferred to the current yr TT tax file. Should they be included in curent 179?

I am filing the final tax return for my business. My question is that if those assets in the lost 179 files still need to be included in this year tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I lost last 10 yrs TurboTax files. So the assets I entered in 179 for those yrs can't be transferred to the current yr TT tax file. Should they be included in curent 179?

Yes, your business assets should be included on the final return (unless they are fully depreciated), and you will need to know the depreciation information. If the assets are sold or distributed to the business owners, you'll need the asset basis to record those transactions as well.

Section 179 is an optional deduction that allows a taxpayer to take more depreciation than would normally be allowed in the first year an asset is placed into service. If you claimed Section 179 deductions on your depreciable assets, you would need that information.

If you used TurboTax for Desktop and no longer have a copy of the .tax20XX for any prior year, you can request a transcript of your federal return from the IRS at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript. The asset information in an IRS transcript is limited.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies