Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in the U.S. and pay taxes in Japan with the pension I received in Japan. What items should I report on my Japanese income and tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I live in the U.S. and pay taxes in Japan with the pension I received in Japan. What items should I report on my Japanese income and tax return?

You can report your Japanese pension income under Wages & Income > Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C > Other Reportable Income > Other Taxable Income.

Enter 'Japanese Pension' and Amount.  The income will show on Schedule 1, Line 8z and be carried over to Form 1040.

In the Foreign Tax Credit section, you are first asked about 1099-Div, 1099-Int.  Continue through the screens until asked if you have other Foreign Income/Tax to report.  Choose 'General Income' from the income types, and enter the amount of your pension.  This is not double taxing; it is to tie it into the tax you enter on a later screen. 

Continue and you will be asked to enter the Foreign Tax you paid on this income.  Continue to the end of the section.  

This will create a Form 1116 in your return, for a Foreign Tax Credit. 

Here's more info on Claiming the Foreign Tax Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies