Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dana-coyle
Returning Member

I live in NY and work for the state. I received a return of pension contributions from NYSLRS pension system. Is this taxable income in NYS?

The 1099-R for this income says EXEMPT under the NYS taxes section but Turbotax is adding this as taxable NYS income. I have tried making adjustments to Federal income in the NYS section but when I attempt to edit this 1099-R, it tells me no additional information is needed. I have already checked the box to indicate this is from a NYS government pension system. Should I override the NYS form instead?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I live in NY and work for the state. I received a return of pension contributions from NYSLRS pension system. Is this taxable income in NYS?

Yes, in the New York state interview, you will have the opportunity to EDIT your Retirement Distributions to indicate the NY Taxable Amount.

You may find that TurboTax has already set this 1099-R to $0 for NY.

@dana-coyle 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dana-coyle
Returning Member

@MarilynG1 When I attempt to edit the Retirement Distributions in State, it tells me Turbotax doesn't need any further information about this distribution. There is no way to edit it here. I entered this 1099-R for last and watched it increase my NYS Tax Due. I can't find a way to correct this. Other than going to the forms and manually overriding the worksheet?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies