Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JDC
Returning Member

Is an early Roth IRA wihdrawal for education subject to regular income tax on contributions and earnings?

I know that we will avoid the 10% tax penalty, but I'm confused about whether we will owe regular income tax on the withdrawal.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is an early Roth IRA wihdrawal for education subject to regular income tax on contributions and earnings?

Withdrawing your own contributions are never subject to tax or the 10% penalty.  Earnings might be taxable if you did not have a Roth for at least 5 years.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Withdrawing your own contributions are never subject to tax or the 10% penalty.  Earnings might be taxable if you did not have a Roth for at least 5 years.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I've had the Roth for more than 5 years.  With that in mind, you're saying my earnings would be nontaxable?

If you are under age 59 1/2 then your own previous contributions are not taxable but  any earnings withdrawn are taxable but up can be excluded from the 10% penalty if  used for education.

See IRS Pub 590B
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b/ch02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000231057">https://www.irs.gov/p...>
JDC
Returning Member

I know that my regular IRA early distribution should not be subject to the 10% tax due to use for education, but turbotax isn't asking any questions to allow me to enter info about college expenses or educational uses

You must have missed the question or did not continue the interview after the 1099-R summary screen.
JDC
Returning Member

I hear what you are saying, but after the summary I have to check a box for qualified retirement plan, then it goes to a screen with a list of situations--none of which mention education, and then it takes me to a screen that says they couldn't lower my taxes.

What code is in box 7 on the 1099-R?
Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked?

Only IRA's will give you the "Higher Education " box (right under the "Equal periodic payments" box) on the screen titled "Did you use your IRA to pay for any of these expenses?"

A Roth IRA should have a code J in box 7 if you are under age 59 1/2.
A Traditional IRA should have a code 1 in box 7 and the IRA box checked.

If something else then this does not appear to be an IRA distribution.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies