Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I inherited a traditional IRA from my deceased husband in 2015. I have not made any withdrawal. Do I have to include the market value in 2016 tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

I inherited a traditional IRA from my deceased husband in 2015. I have not made any withdrawal. Do I have to include the market value in 2016 tax return?

No, you would not enter the market value in your 2016 tax return since you have not made any withdrawals.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4790205

View solution in original post

7 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Did you choose to treat the IRA as your own or did you choose to maintain the IRA as in inherited IRA, titled in the name of your deceased husband for your benefit as beneficiary?

Its a rollover IRA and the form I received is 5498

Thank you. The IRA is my name and husband as beneficiary.
Patrice

No, you would not enter the market value in your 2016 tax return since you have not made any withdrawals.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4790205

dmertz
Level 15

If I infer from your description of this as a "rollover IRA" that you rolled it over to an IRA in your own name and not maintained as an inherited IRA in your husband's name for your benefit as beneficiary, this IRA is treated as if it has always been your own IRA.  If your IRAs include nondeductible traditional IRA contributions and you make a distribution from any of your traditional IRAs, the year end balance in this account must be included in the total balance of the IRAs that you own.

It is maintained as inherited IRA and the account name is my name as beneficiary of my husband. Thank you.
dmertz
Level 15

Then my answer does not apply.  See the answer provided by TurboTaxPatrice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies