Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mutzy94

I have traditional IRA then do backdoor conversion to Roth, also have SEP IRA for side job. For "value of traditional IRA" why am I penalized for total in my SEP IRA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

I have traditional IRA then do backdoor conversion to Roth, also have SEP IRA for side job. For "value of traditional IRA" why am I penalized for total in my SEP IRA?

You aren't being penalized, you are simply seeing a consequence of the law that requires that your basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions be applied to your distributions, including Roth conversions, in proportion to the combined balance of your traditional IRAs, including SEP and SIMPLE IRAs.  For this purpose (and most tax purposes), all of your traditional IRAs are treated as a single account, Whatever portion of your basis is not applied to a particular distribution remains in your traditional IRAs to be applied proportionately to future distributions.  The remainder of your basis will be distributed in the year that your traditional IRA balance at year-end is zero.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies